There are several ways to preserve pepper crops for the winter, which allows providing the whole family with a valuable and healthy vegetable crop until the New Year. As a rule, preserving peppers as long as possible is possible only in the form of canned products. However, there are several methods that contribute to the long-term storage of pepper fresh.
Pepper Harvest Features
An important condition for storing pepper in a fresh state longer than usual is the implementation of the correct and timely harvest of this vegetable crop. You can collect sweet bell pepper, as well as chili varieties both at the technical stage and in the phase of biological ripeness. The first option allows you to use the collected fruits immediately. The second method of collection involves the ripening of fruits at home.
To preserve the harvest of hot or sweet pepper for a longer time, it is necessary to observe the rules for collecting garden crops:
- at the stage of technical ripeness, the fruits have normal sizes characteristic of the variety, which allows harvesting for the purpose of sale, as well as transportation and long-term storage;
- at the stage of technical maturity, sweet pepper fruits are collected weekly, selectively, before the onset of the first cold weather;
- fruits collected in the stage of technical ripeness, subject to the rules of storage and ripening, are able to maintain taste and quality characteristics for a couple of months;
- the stage of real, full ripeness of the fruit, is called physiological or biological maturity and is accompanied by the acquisition of staining characteristic of the variety;
- Bitter or hot peppers should be collected as they mature, only at the stage of complete biological maturity;
- you need to harvest before the onset of frost, as the frozen fruits of pepper almost completely lose their keeping quality.
It is important to note that pepper fruits are best trimmed with a secateurs, along with the peduncle. Chipping fruit often causes damage to whole shoots of pepper. In addition, the lack of timely harvesting provokes the cessation of branching, which can negatively affect the quantity and quality of the crop of this vegetable crop.
How to keep bell peppers for the winter
Storage rules for bell peppers
Peppers intended for long-term storage must be collected at the stage of technical ripeness. Before you bookmark the storage, you can’t wash the peppers, and to remove dirt, you just need to gently wipe the surface with a dry and soft cloth. For long-term storage, only fruits that do not have even the slightest flaws, with a sufficient density of pulp, which are poured, with the presence of a stalk are suitable. The storage rules for this garden crop are as follows:
- good storage containers are clean wooden or plastic boxes with holes for high-quality air exchange;
- storage of the crop in standard plastic bags is allowed, which is due to the presence of a special gas environment that inhibits metabolic processes in the fruits;
- sufficient moisture in polyethylene helps to preserve turgor, which reduces the loss of mass of vegetable crops, but increases the risk of damage by fungal microflora;
- The optimal storage option is special plastic bags with a gas exchange membrane or high-quality perforation.
For long-term storage, use a room with a temperature regime of 9-11aboutC. Higher rates often cause quick drying and shrinking of fruits, and also increase the risk of crop loss due to damage by pathogenic microorganisms. Too low temperature indicators contribute to hypothermia of the crop and cause a loss of ripening ability, and also cause a sharp decrease in taste and nutritional qualities.
Harvesting in the phase of technical ripeness contributes to an increase in the keeping quality of a vegetable crop, followed by ripening in storages with optimal temperature indicators. After acquiring the characteristic color of the variety, the fruit should be placed in the refrigerator at a temperature of 0aboutC and humidity indicators in the range of 85-90%. Having created a pepper crop such conditions, the fruits remain fresh and tasty until the New Year holidays.
Hot pepper storage rules
Chilean or hot peppers can also be stored at home for quite some time. However, if there is no need to get too sharp a vegetable crop, the fruits are removed at the stage of incomplete maturity.
Currently, there are several quite accessible and simple ways to save Chilean pepper:
- dry whole fruits and fold them for storage in a dark place or in advance prepared, clean and dry containers;
- grind dried fruits and store in a glass container with a tight fitting lid;
- bandage the stalk of each fruit with a strong thread and, tied in bunches, hang under the ceiling in a dark and cool room.
There are less common, but very well-established ways of storing vegetables such as hot peppers. In the usual compartment of the refrigerator, the chili pepper can retain all its qualities for no more than five days, but when using a sealed container, the period is extended to two weeks, after which the fruits are wrinkled and dried.
Freezing contributes to the loss of some valuable nutrients, but allows you to save the taste and aroma of the vegetable culture. Harvesting is also popular, allowing you to cook a vegetable crop in vinegar with garlic, without sterilizing cans, and also preserve the fruits of hot pepper in oil.
Tips & Tricks
Domestic gardeners have long learned not only how to preserve the harvested vegetable crops for a long time, but are also able to share some tips and advice in this area.and:
- Only dry fruits can be laid for storage, since even a slight presence of moisture on the surface contributes to very rapid decay of the harvested crop;
- You can store collected sweet pepper for a couple of months in boxes with a capacity of not more than 8-10 kg at a temperature of 0-2 ° C with a relative humidity of at least 90-95% in the room;
- sweet and hot peppers are very well preserved directly on the bushes, which should be removed from the ridges and hung on the veranda or insulated balcony, with the root system up;
- when freezing fruits of hot pepper, you can reduce the severity of the fruit by first removing the stem and seed chamber;
- you can dry the collected peppercorns in the oven, which perfectly preserves the taste and only enhances the aroma of vegetable culture.
Hot peppers: getting ready for winter
It should be noted that if the fruits of Chilean pepper were already fully ripened and did not have any mechanical damage, they can be perfectly kept fresh for a couple of months at optimal temperatures and standard humidity parameters. Many gardeners have long been practicing transplanting pepper bushes from garden ridges to pre-prepared flowerpots or special flower containers with further growing on window sills at home. Such plants can not only enrich the autumn-winter diet with vitamin vegetable products, but also serve as a wonderful decoration for both residential and office premises.