For many people, watermelons are associated with summer - this large and juicy berry allows you to forget about the heat and enjoy the freshness. Preparations for the winter are perceived as something unusual. There are recipes that allow you to feel a pleasant sweetness, which is concentrated in watermelons, in the cold season. To diversify the diet, fill it with vitamins in the winter is a necessity, therefore it is important to know how to save watermelon throughout the year.
Piquant watermelon snack in jars
Surprise guests during the winter holidays with this unusual, but very easy to prepare dish.
In order for the canned watermelon to become the center of the table and be able to supplement the diet, you will need:
- medium-sized watermelon - 1 pc.;
- vinegar 9% - 50 ml;
- table salt - 5 g (1 tbsp. l);
- sugar (white) - 2 tbsp. l;
- currant leaves - 3-5 pcs.;
- fresh dill (inflorescences) - 4-5 pcs.;
- fresh garlic - 3-4 cloves;
- horseradish leaves - 2 pcs.;
- bay leaf - 3 pcs.;
- honey - 30 g;
- water - 300 ml;
- peppercorns - 5-6 pcs.
You can slightly change the amount of ingredients, adjusting the sharpness to your taste.
- Rinse the watermelon well using warm water.
- Wash all greens.
- Sterilize the jars and grease the inside with honey.
- Cut the watermelon into small slices. The crust can not be removed, then the finished dish will look beautiful on a plate.
- Sliced watermelon is neatly placed in a jar, not too tight.
- Do not chop garlic, dill and horseradish, put in a jar.
- Prepare the brine by mixing water, vinegar, sugar and salt, boil and pour in a jar of herbs and watermelon.
- Leave the jar for 3 days, then drain the brine.
- Prepare a new pickle, pour it into a jar and close the lid.
In winter, such an appetizer will successfully complement any holiday table and will remind you of summer.
Store workpieces in a cool place.
Watermelon with aspirin
This recipe will be ideal for those people who, for various reasons, do not eat vinegar. Preservation with aspirin is carried out quickly, so even a novice hostess can cook a watermelon in a similar way.
To implement a culinary delight you will need:
- fresh, ripe watermelon - 1 pc.;
- aspirin - 3 tablets;
- salt (table) - 2 tbsp. l;
- sugar - 2 tbsp. l
- water - 350-400 ml.
- Sterilize the banks.
- Wash the watermelon and cut into slices, leaving the crust.
- Boil the water and pour it into a jar, leaving the contents for 10-15 minutes, then the water will need to be drained completely.
- It is necessary to prepare the brine using the classic ingredients - salt and sugar, but not using vinegar.
- While the brine begins to boil, you should crush the aspirin and pour it into a jar of watermelons.
- Pour in hot brine.
- Roll up the can using the metal lid.
The number of ingredients, except watermelon, is given per 1 three-liter jar. Keep the workpiece in a cool place.
Refreshing watermelon juice (recipe with citric acid)
You can save the sweet taste of summer by preparing watermelon juice. Most people like it, because it allows you to feel the tenderness and lightness, reminiscent of the summer. It is important to remember that there are not too many vitamins in it, but the main feature - the diuretic effect - will remain. That is why watermelon juice is recommended in some cases, as a medicine.
In order to prepare watermelon juice for the winter, the following ingredients will be required:
- ripe watermelon (pitted flesh) - 7-9 kg;
- granulated sugar (white) - 320-350 g;
- citric acid - 8-10 g.
- Wash and cut the watermelon in half.
- Remove all the flesh, pit, pass through a blender to make a smoothie.
- Add sugar and citric acid to the watermelon puree, mix, warm to a boil.
- Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Sterilize jars, pour juice into containers and tighten the lids.
You can additionally add cranberry or plum juice to enrich the taste and make it saturated.
You can save sweet and tasty watermelons by pickling them.
In order to please yourself and your family with an unusual dish in the winter, you will need the following set of ingredients:
- ripe watermelon (without peel) - 2 kg;
- water - 1.3 l;
- black pepper (peas) - 8-10 pcs or ground - 5 g;
- fresh garlic (cloves) - 4 pcs.;
- bay leaf - 4 pcs.;
- fresh celery - 2 pcs.;
- granulated sugar - 20 g;
- salt (rock) - 7 g;
- vinegar (essence) - 1 tbsp. l;
- citric acid - 1 tsp.
- The ingredients are presented per 1 can of 3 liters in volume, so the number of cans and lids should be calculated in advance, then sterilized.
- Wash the watermelon. If you want - cut off the crust.
- At the bottom of the prepared cans lay seasoning, garlic and sliced watermelon.
- Boil water and pour into a jar, leave for 25 minutes. Then drain it to make the marinade.
- Boil the same amount of water, add salt and sugar. Pour into a jar, then add vinegar and citric acid.
- Tighten the cans with iron caps, turn down the neck, allow to cool.
For better safety, you should choose the right place for storage - a refrigerator or a cellar.
Watermelon marinated with tomatoes
Creating a tasty and unusual dish is quite simple - you need to marinate watermelons with tomatoes.
To prepare, you will need:
- red tomatoes - 3 kg;
- watermelon without peel and pits - 3 kg;
- fresh garlic - 3 cloves;
- bay leaf - 3 pcs. / 1 can;
- dill seeds - 6 g;
- mustard powder - 1 tsp;
- salt (table) - 1.5 tbsp. l;
- granulated sugar (white) - 3 tbsp. l;
- water (drinking) - 1.5 l;
- vinegar (essence) - 1 tbsp. l
The amount of ingredients is given for a 3-liter can.
- Sterilize the jars needed for blanks.
- Put pepper and bay leaf on the bottom.
- Wash the tomatoes well.
- Wash and peel the watermelon.
- Put tomatoes in a jar.
- Cut the watermelon into pieces.
- Boil water and pour it into a jar, leave for 15 minutes.
- Then pour it into a container, add salt, sugar and dill and vinegar, boil again and pour into a jar.
- Grind garlic (you can put whole slices).
- Pour mustard powder into a jar.
- Roll up cans with iron lids.
Canned watermelons without sterilization
More and more often, not quite ordinary blanks began to be sent to the shelves of the basement or the cellar at the time of canning, the recipes of which a good housewife will find on the Internet, peep at friends or drag her friends from a notebook. One of these preparations is a pickled watermelon, which serves as an excellent snack for a noisy feast in the evening, and an ambulance in the morning, after a party.
- 25 g of edible salt;
- 10 g of lemon (a small slice);
- 2 tab. aspirin;
- 60 g of sugar sand;
- large watermelon;
- 15 g of chili peppers.
- To send the pepper to the bottom of the glass container (purely washed with soda), it is better not to cut it, but if the family is keen on spicy, then you can give the preservation a delicious burning taste by putting chili pieces.
- Cut the watermelon into slices that freely pass through the neck of the container. Tamping is not worth it, the scarlet particles break easily.
- Sugar sand, aspirin (the contents cannot be stored for a long time) and salt are poured into a container (3 l).
- Boil water in a saucepan, pour the contents of the container and roll up the lid of tin.
- Cool without insulation, but be sure to turn the lid down.
Pickled watermelon with grapes (video)
Thus, a watermelon can be eaten not only in the summer, but also to diversify the menu with dishes with it in the winter.