Raspberry "Pride of Russia" refers to large-fruited varieties with very attractive, salable berries. This outstanding variety is in fact the pride of domestic breeders and deserves the closest attention from gardeners.
Description of the Pride of Russia variety characterizes it as a reliable and winter-hardy variety, perfectly adapted to difficult growing conditions. It was obtained at the Moscow VSTiPS twenty years ago by domestic breeder V.V. Kichina as a result of hybridization of the Stolichnaya raspberry variety with the Stambovy-20 donor.
A variety of medium early ripening, with a peak fruiting in mid-summer. The harvest is long, of the order of five sets, and ends approximately in the first decade of August. Average productivity indicators are about 4.5 kg per plant or 18 t / ha.
Bushes of medium growth strength, with a height of not more than 1.5-1.8 m, are quite compact. The plant forms about 8-12 shoots of substitution, as well as about 5-7 root offspring. On strong young shoots there is no wax coating and studding. The presence of pubescence is characteristic. Leaves of bright green color, large enough. On each fruit branch there are more than twenty berries weighing 8-10 g, conical in shape, with well-boned drupes. The variety is characterized by dry separation of berries, allowing for transportation and short-term storage of the harvested crop.
The indicators of winter hardiness and frost resistance reach -30 ° C; therefore, the variety is in demand for cultivation in regions with rather adverse weather conditions. An advantage is the high level of resistance to the most common fungal and viral lesions. The variety is extremely rarely attacked by aphids.
Despite the fact that Raspberry Pride of Russia has a large number of expressed advantages, it also has disadvantages that are important to consider when cultivating varieties:
- adverse weather conditions can cause the formation of double berries;
- in regions with abnormally cold winters, the plant needs preparation for the winter period and shelter;
- in the rainy season and in insufficient sunlight there is a noticeable decrease in the sugar content of the berry and a decrease in taste.
Along with other large-fruited varieties, in order to obtain a stable and maximally high yield, Pride of Russia needs to observe intensive agricultural technology and conduct proper care measures at all stages of berry crop cultivation.
Raspberry: a selection of varieties
"Pride of Russia" refers to varieties of a two-year fruiting cycle, therefore, during the first year of planting, it builds up shoots. Berry formation occurs in the second year. To get the maximum yield, it is necessary to carry out a whole range of measures:
- medium-sized bushes do not need to be tied, but nevertheless it is customary to tie the shoots in order to facilitate care and harvesting;
- the correct formation of the berry bush allows you to improve the performance of illumination of the plant, contributes to its ventilation and facilitates harvesting;
- irrigation is one of the standard procedures during cultivation: it is best to use a drip irrigation system, which not only allows you to maintain an optimal moisture level, but also facilitates the application of liquid fertilizers;
- the intensity of top dressing has a direct effect on the sugar content and acid content in berries, so you should carefully consider the choice of type of fertilizer and the scheme of their application;
- feeding raspberries with urea gives a good result, the introduction of which should be carried out in early April, mid-May and the last decade of June;
- in the early spring, before the phase of mass blooming of the kidneys, it is required to carry out the first organic top dressing of the berry culture with mullein or a solution based on chicken droppings;
- for the next feeding, it is advisable to use a full-fledged mineral complex with a sufficient content of the main trace elements - magnesium, phosphorus and potassium;
- it is very important to keep the soil in the raspberry-tree clear of weed vegetation, and also to conduct surface loosening of the soil, which improves the air supply to the root system of the berry crop;
- To reduce the amount of manual watering, as well as slow down the growth of weeds and prevent the formation of soil crust on the surface, it is recommended to mulch the soil with organic matter.
In the autumn, it is recommended to prune the shoots to the root, which has a positive effect on next year’s productivity indicators.
Planting Raspberry Pride of Russia has no significant differences from the planting technology of any other varieties of this berry culture popular in our country:
- Raspberry seedlings can be planted both in planting pits and in pre-prepared trenches;
- a relatively unpretentious berry plant tolerates spring planting well, but in some regions of our country, preference should be given to raspberry planting in the autumn period: in the northern regions, the spring period is wet and lingering, which is optimal for the survival of seedlings, but plants planted in the fall often die, so and not having time to settle down; in the southern regions there is a long and fairly warm autumn period, so raspberry seedlings are best planted in late September or in the first half of October;
- smooth and dry areas with a good level of illumination should be allocated under raspberries;
- digging the soil in advance with the introduction of the necessary nutrient components and subsequent marking of the rows;
- after the root system of the seedling is lowered into the planting pit or trench, it is necessary to carefully straighten all the roots and sprinkle them with nutritious soil, placing the root neck at the same level with the ground.
After planting, shoots are subject to mandatory pruning at a height of 15-20 cm, and also carried out watering and mulching trunks circles. After about ten years, it will be necessary to find a new place for large-fruited raspberries on the plot and carry out the transplant necessary to maintain the productivity of the berry crop.
According to experienced gardeners who have been cultivating the most promising and large-fruited raspberries for several years, medium-sized plants of the Pride of Russia variety can produce a good crop even on a small landing area. The variety really shows tolerance to the main diseases most dangerous for raspberries., and if any, there is no decrease in yield or quality of the berries.
Fruiting is stable, annual and very plentiful. High productivity requires competent care, which will include such basic measures as watering and fertilizing, removing weeds and shallow loosening of the upper soil layer, as well as the formation of a bush.
How to plant raspberries
A plus is the unattractiveness of raspberries for aphids, which reduces the need for strong chemicals, which makes the crop the most attractive from an environmental point of view.
The worthy Pride of Russia variety has received high marks and positive reviews from amateur gardeners over the years and is rightfully considered one of the best for cultivation in the middle lane of our country.