Decorating your summer cottage with the help of climbing plants is always a current trend in gardening. There are several types of such plants, and one of the most popular is clematis. These flowers are beautiful in themselves, but it is also important to correctly position them in space and make special coasters. The support for clematis is an important element in the design of the garden, because how beautiful it will be, these plants will curl so elegantly.
Purpose and use cases of trellis for clematis in landscape design
Clematis blooms almost all summer, have juicy greens and many small flowers. These are perennial beautiful plants, therefore, creating a special support for them, we must proceed from the fact that it will be used for more than one year. The design can be made to order, but on the other hand it will be much more interesting to do it yourself. This option is most often the most optimal, because:
- it will be much cheaper;
- You will be able to realize your own ideas and enjoy the results of work for a long time;
- it can be adapted to the specific features of the garden and your own wishes, which may arise directly during the work.
There are several options for making trellis (this is the common name for a support that supports plants). Since this is not about supporting bushes with tomatoes, but about an aesthetic purpose, the trellis itself should look elegant and beautiful. She can make her own special charm in the design of the garden and become a kind of business card.
You can use all your imagination, think over the concept of the garden and successfully fit into it the originally executed trellis with clematis. Here are just a few of the possible ideas:
- lattice design of windows and roofs of the gazebo - a hedge will look very beautiful, densely covering the building and creating the effect of a green tent;
- a hedge along the walls of a country house - will create the effect of a green wall; allows you to hide ugly monotonous walls;
- pyramids along the fence, in the corners of the garden or along a certain contour;
- the trellis above the swing or bench will give the impression of a green roof;
- decoration in the form of an arch above the entrance, as well as in the form of a kind of green tunnel from several such arches;
- trellis in the form of decorative figures (for example, a rocket or mushroom directed upwards).
How to make a support for clematis with your own hands
After the idea is selected, you need to think carefully about where the trellis will be installed, and also what it can be made of.
Varieties of supports for clematis
Making wooden pergolas for clematis
One of the most popular and affordable options is the creation of a wooden pergola. In the classic version, these are several wooden arches connected by supporting structures. It can be either a capital construction or a temporary construction - for example, for a season. Pergola shades the space, creates the effect of a green tunnel and emphasizes the advantages of any garden. In addition, it creates excellent conditions for the life of shade-loving plants and some flowers.
Wood as a material for manufacturing has its undeniable advantages:
- beautiful eco-friendly design (even without paint treatment);
- convenience in work, especially at the stage of fastening;
- strength and wear resistance;
- unlike metals, wood does not heat up so much in the heat, so clematis (and other curly ones) will be very comfortable on it.
Work with wooden structures according to the following rules:
- Before you start making pergolas, you need to carefully treat the wooden bars with special tools that protect them from rainfall. If the foundation is to be concreted, then it must be isolated from moist soil to prevent decay.
- Instead of nails as fastening elements, it is better to use more reliable bolts and wood screws.
- To strengthen wooden parts, you can use nails or make connections based on simple grooves.
- The lattice to the pergola can also be screwed with screws, or fix it with metal brackets.
In general, the algorithm of actions during the installation of the structure will be as follows:
- Marking the site, a clear orientation of the angles with the help of driven pegs;
- Each corner is drilled in depth by at least 90 cm;
- The bottom is covered with gravel (layer thickness of at least 10 cm);
- Racks filed taking into account the peculiarities of the structure of the pits and placed in the corners;
- The level determines how smoothly they are mounted;
- Pits are poured with cement (at the same time it is better to grease the columns with bitumen first);
- After the mixture has seized and the supports have firmly risen, the cross beams are mounted;
- Then decorative components are fastened (lattices, arches, arches, wavy corners, etc.)
After manufacturing the structure, you need to stand for several days so that it is completely fixed at the joints. At the same time, you can sand it with sandpaper and paint it with varnish to prevent rotting from moisture.
Clematis in the country: the decor of the site
Tapestry from fittings
Tapestry made of reinforcement may look more elegant and richer than wooden. In addition, it can last longer, as it is less susceptible to weather and decay.
In manufacturing, it may seem more difficult. Often when connecting elements of a metal trellis using a welding machine. Also bolts or wire are used. The latter option, of course, is the least reliable, although it is very simple to manufacture - it is suitable for cases where the trellis is installed on time, and then replaced with a permanent structure. The most reliable trellis is made by welding.
Here are some useful tips for creating this product:
- If a rather large pergola is assumed, then the base (foundation) for it should be more powerful. A cemented area is suitable, on which the fundamentals of the structure will be fixed using screw piles.
- If the pergola is small, then it can be made of smooth reinforcement, since it is flexible in operation, and almost any shape can be made of it. At the same time, this design can be made collapsible and stored at the end of the season.
- Metal is less malleable than wood, so it is important to observe the optimal dimensions of the future trellis. In height, it should be in the range from 2.2 to 2.5 meters, in width - from 1.2 to 3 m.
The general algorithm for manufacturing metal trellis looks like this:
- Cutting support posts (in diameter about 8-10 mm);
- Fixing these racks in a pre-prepared foundation (similar to a wooden pergola, but possible with reinforcement - more depth, more crushed stone and cement);
- Connection of the remaining elements of the reinforcement, including decorative, using bolts or welding.
Making arches for clematis and roses
The arch in the garden is almost always made of reinforcement, bent into an arc. Structurally, they are two arcs, interconnected by rings-diameters. Making out is easier than metal pergolas. Neither bolts nor welding are needed. The arcs simply bend at an angle, dig into the ground and are fixed together by rings. At the same time, there are such recommendations:
- The distance between the arcs is about 30 cm;
- They dig into the ground to a depth of at least half a meter;
- The diameter of the rings is also about 30 cm;
In this case, the procedure will be something like this:
- Bend the armature to obtain an arc;
- A contour with future arches is drawn on the ground - rods are driven in pointwise, ropes are tied to them and a semicircle is painted with a pair of compasses;
- Bent reinforcement is instilled and fixed in the ground;
- Next, the sections are fastened with soft wire: the first ring goes at a distance of 50-60 cm from the ground, then they are repeated every 15-20 cm;
- To prevent corrosion, all parts are carefully painted and coated with primers.
How to properly tie clematis to a support
Like many other climbing plants, clematis are held by leaves on a wooden or metal support. However, if the diameter of the structure is more than 1.5 cm, then the plant cannot catch on it. This must be done carefully - so as not to damage the plant itself, and also so that everything looks beautiful. Metal structures are convenient in this regard, because their rods are thinner than wooden poles - respectively, and it is easier for the plant to cling.
In the case of wooden supports, the clematis must be tied up. This can be done using handy tools such as fishing lines and hooks. You can go this way of work:
- Hammer a nail into the fence or wooden support by tying the upper end of the fishing line to it;
- Tie the bottom end of the fishing line to hooks;
- Do this several times and pull the fishing line in parallel. It is not worth crossing them, because the plants have enough of what they have, and in the interweaving it will be difficult to untangle them later.
How to build a support for clematis
There are a lot of options for decorating the garden with hedges. And all the tools and materials for this creative work are quite accessible. All you need is your desire and a bit of imagination, and everything will work out!